Aims and objectives of the Pakistan Labour Party (PLP)
Pakistan will encourage the seeking of political solutions to political problems rather than the use of force. n. Pakistan will maintain independent foreign policy without getting involved in regional great, small or double games. so that voters in the forthcoming General Elections will know clearly what the Party stands for. The manifesto does not purport to be a detailed programme of action. It seeks only to describe the spirit that motivates the Party and the overall principles that will govern its policies, should it be called upon to serve the people of Pakistan.
The Manifesto is divided into the following parts:
- The Preamble Internal Affair.
- Peace and Security .
- Judicial and Police Reforms .
- Human Rights
- Women’s Rights and Empowerment
- Children’s Rights
- Minorities Rights and Empowerment
- Old age and people with disabilities
Provincial Autonomy – Strengthening implementation of the 18th Constitutional Amendment
- a. Education
- b. Health
- c. Population Planning and Well-Being
- d. Youth Development & Employment
- e. Labour Rights and Development
- f. Agriculture, Livestock and Poultry Development
- g. Environment
- h. Energy, Oil, Natural Gas and Mineral Resources
- i. Industry & technical advancement
- j. Art and Culture
- k. Sports
- l. Tourism Development
- m. Information and Technology . . Social, Economic & Fiscal Reforms .
- Taxation and Revenue
- China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC)
- II. External Affairs Pakistan Labour Party Election Manifesto 2018 draws its inspiration from the example . With peace, non-violence (PLP) struggle for freedom and against all kinds of injustice, oppression and exploitation. for the liberation of South Asia against the great imperial and colonial power of the day, and rendered, in that path, sacrifices which were matchless and which have remained a beacon for those who seek justice and rights. The aimed and strove not only to liberate the masses of South Asia, particularly his own people, the Pakhtuns, from the shackles of foreign domination, oppression and exploitation, but also to rid his own people of the curse of poverty, ignorance, harmful customs and biases, internal disharmony and political inertia. He wanted both political and social justice for all peoples and nations and wished that all peoples and nations should live in freedom, with internal peace and justice, and with mutual accommodation and cooperation on International level. politics and public service were two sides of the same coin. In keeping with this spirit, the (PLP) , considers politics and public service essentially as two complementary and indispensable branches of the same activity. Hence, the party is dedicated to the promotion of democracy and Freedom, Provincial autonomy, the eradication of poverty and ignorance, the protection of fundamental human rights and liberties, and the fulfillment of genuine and legitimate aspirations of all groups and strata of the society-particularly the weak, the disadvantaged and the dispossessed. Overall Goals and Guiding Principles:(PLP) stands firmly against extremism and violence in all its forms and manifestations. It believes that dialogue is the best way to resolve bilateral and multilateral issues. . (PLP) is committed to strengthening the democratic and political process, rule of law and access to justice. It will strive for the establishment of a peaceful, prosperous, progressive and secular society. (PLP) is committed to equal rights and opportunities for all citizens, nationalities, groups irrespective of gender, religion, race, class and creed. All discriminatory laws shall be repealed. The essence of security will be guaranteed among women, elderly and people with disabilities, transgender, religious and ethnic minorities (PLP) will ensure protection of rights, development and welfare of people with disabilities. (PLP) shall strive for their meaningful participation in decision making at all levels. It will make serious efforts to improve safety and accessibility in public and work places and will ensure implementation of existing quotas in letter and spirit. (PLP) opposes parochial interpretation of religion, traditions and customs. It is against xenophobia, religious extremism and terrorism that are pushing the country into isolation and a closed society. dignity, pluralism and indigenous wisdom and identity.(PLP) believes that every citizen shall have the right to hold any public office including the offices of the President and Prime Minister. (PLP) believes that every citizen of Pakistan shall have equal rights and opportunities in the political, economic and social sense. (PLP) is committed to Provincial Autonomy with the centre retaining control of Defense, Foreign Affairs, currency, communications and such other subjects which the federating units agree to in the Council of Common Interest (CII). It will ensure full Pakistan Labour Party (PLP): Election Manifesto 2018 The implementation of the 18th Constitutional Amendment, particularly with regards to oil, gas, water and power, energy, health and education. (PLP) will continue to build on policies of devolution of powers to the Provinces and the Districts. (PLP) Labour Welfare Commission will establish Provincial Higher Education Commissions and Provincial Finance Commissions. . (PLP) is committed to securing full political, social and economic rights for all the federating units of Pakistan as equal partners in the federation and their full share in the country’s progress and prosperity. (PLP) is committed to the protection of the rights and identities of the peoples of the four Provinces, Seraiki, Gilgit Baltistan, ensuring unrestricted freedom for the development of their cultures and languages. (PLP) will continue its struggle to unite the Pakhtun within Pakistan by removing the colonial divisions through constitutional amendments.(PLP) decades of struggle and sacrifices for the merger of FATA with Pakhtunkhwa have been realized through the 31st Constitutional Amendment. The Party will continue its struggle to bring the newly merged districts at par with the rest of the Province and will leave no stone upturned to unite the Pakhtun in Baluchistan (Southern Pakhtunkhwa) with Pakhtunkhwa. (PLP) will make sure that every penny of the development funds meant for the new districts merged with Pakhtunkhwa is spent there. (PLP) shall strive to divert even additional funds to bring the area at par with the rest of the province in terms of socio economic development. We intend to follow the example of the former West Germany that diverted more funds to the former East Germany from its own share in the interest of even development, social cohesion and integration. (PLP) shall support efforts of the federating units which wish to reorganize on the basis of historic, cultural, linguistic and geographical similarities in accordance with the Constitution. (PLP) believes in fair and just distribution of water resources particularly of the Indus river system. It will continue to strongly oppose usurpation of water rights of the Provinces especially the lower riparian. will work on a comprehensive policy for water conservation, storage and desalination. (PLP) considers local government an important tier of the democratic process and improving access and quality of services at the door steps. It will review, amend and strengthen the Local government system and ensure increased participation of women, peasants/Labour and religious minorities in the system. .(PLP) believes in freedom of association and expression. It is committed to freedom of and right to information in letter and spirit. (PLP) shall strive for the abolish ment of parallel legal and quasi-legal systems so as to ensure a uniform, integrated judicial system in the country. (PLP) believes in good governance, transparency and across the board accountability. (PLP) will strive to eliminate bribery and corruption at all levels including in civil, military bureaucracies and judiciary. It will establish an autonomous commission for accountability with a Constitutional cover. (PLP) is committed to significantly increasing tax to GDP ratio through economic policy reforms. (PLP) will widen direct tax base to reduce heavy dependence on regressive indirect taxes. It will rationalize State and Government’s expenditures to levels which do not jeopardize economic and social welfare and development of the people of Pakistan. . (PLP) opposes any interference in politics by civil and military bureaucracy. (PLP) upholds the basic principle that all institutions shall work within their Constitutional Pakistan Labour (PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 limits. In the pursuit of these goals and principles, the (PLP) is ready to work together with like minded forces in Pakistan and subscribes to partnerships with all peace-loving countries of the world, especially neighboring countries. . Peace and Security The State exists as a social contract between the rulers and the citizens where the rulers undertake to offer peace and security to the citizens in return for their acceptance of the sovereignty of the State. Pakistan, in general and Pakhtunkhwa and Baluchistan, in particular are passing through a critical stage of history as terrorism and extremism have destroyed lives and livelihoods and pose an existential threat to their very existence. It is worth mentioning that the situation of militancy has not sprung from out of nowhere but rather it is the outcome of the flawed policies and governance, particularly since the country joined the 1980s proxy war (fasad) in Afghanistan. ce and security in the past decade. . (PLP) also believes that no security measures will succeed without giving highest priority to fundamental rights and human security. Objectives of establishing peace and security can be achieved if the State promotes a culture rooted in constitutionalism, human rights, democracy and rule of law. (PLP) opposes all forms of violations of the country’s sovereignty and integrity. (PLP) is committed to evolve a national consensus to transform the State into a secular and democratically developing welfare State.(PLP) believes security and foreign policies are the primary responsibility of the public representatives. A process for review of the security and foreign policies would be initiated both within the Parliament and outside to enable the transformation of the State. (PLP) believes in a holistic security approach and mechanism based on professional and well coordinated intelligence organized on modern lines as a key to addressing the root causes of extremism, sectarianism and terrorism. (PLP) will review and reform the security policies and strategies to bring it in line with modern security requirements. To ensure long term effectiveness of the security measures, (PLP) will give highest priority to human rights and security as an important component of the holistic security approach.(PLP) will continue to strive for effective implementation and Parliamentary oversight of National Action Plan (NAP). It will build the capacity of National Counter Terrorism Authority (NACTA) as an important institution for (PLP) implementation. (PLP) will evolve a standard policy for compensation, including a comprehensive public insurance policy, for victims of sectarianism, terrorism and violence. The policy will give special attention to the newly merged districts of Pakhtunkhwa (formerly FATA) where the people have been hardest hit by terrorism and extremism. VII. (PLP) will establish a Martyrs Cell in the Provinces to ensure well being of the families of the Martyrs of terrorism and extremism. Pakistan Labour Party (PLP) : Election Manifesto 2018 will reduce security check posts and replace them with enhanced intelligence, state of the art surveillance with a back up from quick response force. All check posts will be under charge of civilian Police force. Check posts will be closely monitored to ensure there is no violation of citizen’s rights and dignity under the law, rules and procedures.(PLP) Nwill give top priority to the removal of landmines from the terror affected areas. It will initiate awareness and training programme about protection from landmines for local population. A special rehabilitation package will be given to families affected by landmines. Judicial and Police Reforms: Pakistan’s civilian security is faced with numerous challenges due to lack of political will and commitment to rule of law, weak criminal justice system, promotion of extremism of armed state actors, poor working conditions of employees of the criminal administrative system, poor service delivery, callous attitude to redress grievances, non-registration of FIR, poor quality of investigation and prosecution and poor anti riot personnel to maintain public order. Justice delayed is Justice denied: Pakistan civil and criminal justice system is characterized by inordinate delays where both police and courts exhibit callous indifference to the needs of citizens. (PLP) proposes to remodel the whole structure of present civil and criminal justice system in accordance with the democratic aspirations of the people. As an important step, the Party intends to implement necessary reforms so that people have greater confidence in the justice system. I. Judicial Reforms a. (PLP) believes the Supreme Court is the highest appellate court and should not be bogged down with taking up Constitutional cases. Instead, (PLP) will support the establishment of a separate Constitutional court. (PLP) will strive to strengthen and reform the judicial system, especially focusing on building physical and intellectual infrastructural capacity of lower judiciary to adjudicate cases in a fair, just and transparent manner at a low cost. (PLP) will setup judicial complexes at the District levels. (PLP) will strengthen legal and judicial systems and procedures for prosecution of terrorism related offenses by providing effective security to judges, prosecutors and witnesses. d. (PLP) will work towards reforming and abridging the Criminal and Civil Procedures to enable speedy justice at the door step, without compromising on due process of the law and fair trial. e. (PLP) will ensure access to justice to people living in remote areas by initiating mobile courts. II. Police Reforms a. (PLP) will take measures for strict adherence to Rule of Law by ensuring all actions in accordance with law without fear, interference or influence. (PLP) will ensure independence of Police and make it subject to law and democratic control. c. (PLP) will ensure quality standards, functional specialization and provision of modern technology in all spheres of policing. d. (PLP) will invest in professional and international standards of police training academies in the Center and the Provinces. e. (PLP) will raise investigation capacity by investing in improved technical skills Pakistan Labour Party: (PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 6 and setting up of forensic science laboratories operated by highly educated and trained staff.(PLP) will take measures to improve coordination between Police and Judiciary to end unnecessary delays in investigation, trials and appeals. g.(PLP) believes Civil Armed Forces have a central role in Counter Terrorism and should be well equipped for effective performance of responsibilities. Whereas Counter Insurgency is the primary responsibility of the Armed Forces. h. (PLP) will invest in improving civilian intelligence and security coordination amongst agencies in the Center and Federating Units. i. The Provincial and Central Police quota shall be brought according to the space given by the constitution of Pakistan and all the promotion in police department shall be carried out by the Provincial government. j. Police stations standards and capacity will be raised. Administrative and Financial Authority will be decentralized to the Range, District and Police Station levels. k. PLP will upgrade Police salary and benefits, residential facilities and transportation for all cadres. III. Prosecution: a. (PLP) will ensure independent Prosecution subject to the law. It will have its own hierarchy of service structure ensuring smooth promotions. b. (PLP) will upgrade Prosecution to an Administrative Department. c. Will establish training academies for prosecutors to improve their technical abilities and civic responsibilities. IV. Correction Services and Management: a. (PLP) will reform the concept of Prison Management to Correction Services and Management. b. Administrative and Financial autonomy will be granted to the inspectorate of Prison on the pattern of the Inspector General of Police. c. Functional specialization will be ensured and the Inspector General will be appointed from the hierarchy of Correction Services and Management Correctional Centers will provide educational, sports, library, recreational and medical facilities. d. The Correctional Services through special modules and physical courses will be imparted to the prison staff to build their skills. A training institute for this purpose will be established in the Provinces with qualified trainers. e. Strict segregation of under trial convicts, women and juvenile prisoners will be pursued. f. (PLP) will invest in building new Correction Centers and in establishing high security prisons for under trial terrorists. g. Under trial prisoners will be kept in Correction Centers located close to the courts. Upon conviction the Prisoners will be moved to the designated centers. h.(PLP) will ensure transparency and merit in all recruitment’s, postings and transfers. 3. Human Rights I. Women’s Rights and Empowerment Pakistan’s women are trapped in a web of dependency and subordination due to their low social, economic and political status. The majority of women suffer from all forms discrimination and violence. There are inherent structural impediments that prevent and Pakistan Labour Party (PLP): Election Manifesto 2018 7 discourage women from participating in the decision-making process and this perpetuates their disadvantaged status. Although Pakistan has made commitments at the National and International levels to ensure women’s rights, there is a wide gap between commitments and implementation. The (PLP) is committed to gender rights and equality. In light of its vision, constitution and policies, the Party will work towards ensuring women’s equal rights and empowerment through the following: a. Will continue efforts to increase Women’s Participation in decision-making at all levels to a minimum of 33% representation in Political Parties, Parliament, Provincial Assemblies, local government, public services, superior judiciary, public commissions and boards etc. b. Will evolve consensus on direct elections for women to all elected positions including on reserved seats/quota, as the Party believes that there is no substitute for direct elections. c. Will provide women’s meaningful and requisite technical and financial support to enable them to participate effectively in all spheres of life. d. (PLP) pledges equal access and opportunities to employment for women and will take effective policy and administrative steps to ensure implementation of the existing quota for women’s employment. e. Will ensure effective implementation of legislation enacted for women’s rights and empowerment. Will continue efforts for the promulgation domestic violence law, child marriages and trafficking in women and children. f. Will evolve consensus to repeal all discriminatory laws and policies that infringe on the equal rights of women and their participation in decision making within the state, family, community and society. g. Will comply with existing international conventions/instruments ratified by Pakistan addressing violence against women and ratify the Optional Protocol of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and other relevant instruments relating to trafficking of women and children and violence against women. h. Will ensure that no Laws, Regulations, Policy and Code of conduct prescribed and adopted by the State exclude and/or discriminate against women. i. Review and revise identification policies to ensure that citizens are identified by parentage and not spouse so that their national identity cards do not change with a change in marital status. Remove the need for a male guardian for adult women when applying for National Identity Cards. j. Will create awareness about the importance of gender equality through education and media. k. (PLP) is committed to taking concrete steps to combat Gender Based Violence (GBV), concomitant reforms and adjustment in rules and regulations within the government system for horizontal linkages and coordination mechanisms among concerned departments.(PLP) will expand and improve the quality standards and security of welfare institutions for survivors of GBV in the face of rising incidents and current inadequate systems. l. Will strengthen the relevant Ministries and Departments for Women Development in the Provinces. Build capacities in terms of professional, technical and financial requirements to effectively implement their challenging agenda for women rights and empowerment. m. (PLP)’s Pakhtunkhwa Government spearheaded the establishment of a Provincial Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW). Other Provinces have followed its Pakistan Labour Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 8 example. (PLP) will make the existing National Commission on the Status of Women (NCSW) and Provincial Commissions on the Status of Women (PCSW) autonomous (financially and administratively) for raising and following up on women’s issues. n. Will prohibit deals between local elders and political parties that bar women from exercising their right to vote and/or contest elections.(PLP) will revoke membership of any Party member found to be involved in deals preventing women from their right to vote. o. Ensure administrative reforms within civil, judicial and police, for effective implementation of existing laws for women’s right to inheritance, elimination of customary discriminatory practices of child marriages, q. (PLP) will ensure payment of minimum wages in informal and formal sectors of economy and ensure right to unionization especially in the informal sector. r. Ensure women’s participation and integration in newer positions and fields to shun the restriction of stereotypical professions. Women will be provided equal opportunities for education and employment in the fields of their choice and qualification. s. (PLP) will start improved mass transportation system with dedicated spaces and safe and secure environment for women and people with disabilities in all Districts. (PLP) will evolve a policy for day care centers in all Government offices, Industrial units, Universities and Corporations will be made mandatory. (PLP) will give policy guidelines for women friendly work environment. u.(PLP) will ensure all public and private offices, markets and shopping malls have separate functional and clean toilets for women with provision for women with disabilities. v (PLP) will provide incentives for women run businesses through the women’s chambers. w.(PLP) will introduce a policy for mandatory maternity and paternity leave in public and private sectors. . (PLP) will introduce curriculum from early years of education at schools which will include lessons about gender equality, women and girls’ rights. .(PLP)will make extra efforts towards empowerment of women in the newly merged and least developed and terrorism affected districts in the true sense. It will create a special job quota of at least 25 % in different job departments. z. (PLP) does not support any customs, traditions, law or act that discriminates against women and violate their rights. aa. (PLP) does not support extra judicial forums operating in violation of the Constitution and the law, like the traditional Jarga and Panchyat systems that act as judge, jury and executioner. bb. (PLP) aims to create special funds for the widows of martyrs of terrorism for their financial security and well being. cc. Acknowledge the role of civil society as contributory and useful partners in promotion of women advancement in all walks of life including legislation for women, political education and participation and poverty reduction projects. II. Child Rights a. Children under-18 years constitute around 50% of Pakistan’s population. The Pakistan Labour Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 9 18th Constitutional Amendment as introduced in April 2010, inserted article 25-A in the Constitution promising free and compulsory education to all children of the age of five to 16 years in such manner as may be determined by law. b. Education after the Eighteenth Amendment is a fundamental right of each and every child in Pakistan. It is binding on the State to protect and promote this right. (PLP)will ensure full implementation and adherence to article 25-A. c. (PLP) will review, legislate and implement child Labour laws to ensure that child Labour under the age of 16 years is prohibited in all formal and informal sectors including domestic sector. d. (PLP) is committed to implementation of the Juvenile Justice System and will establish exclusive juvenile courts and juvenile correction centers focusing on education and rehabilitation facilities for the children. e. ANP will make efforts to prohibit all forms of violence against children such as corporal punishment, sexual abuse, rape, kidnapping and ensuring punishment as per law. f. (PLP) will strengthen the National Human Rights Commission with Provincial & District Chapters in collaboration with the Provincial Governments to monitor the status of child rights in the country. III. Religious Minorities Rights a. The misuse of religion in politics has strengthened and reinforced violent conflicts over the others version of religion (PLP) will continue its struggle for a secular democratic & pluralistic Pakistan with equal rights and opportunities for all citizens. b. (PLP) will continue efforts to repeal amendments made to the 1973 Constitution mainly by dictators relegating religious minorities to a secondary citizen status. . (PLP) will make efforts to review and remove all discrimination against religious minorities in the Constitution and the law and will ensure affirmative action to integrate religious minorities as equal citizens. d.(PLP) will ensure effective legal and administrative measures to counter incitement to violence against citizens of other ethnicity, faith and religions. e. (PLP) will bring legislation and ensure its effective implementation to prohibit forced conversions. f. The Party will continue its effort to evolve consensus on direct elections on reserved seats for non-Muslims and increase their representation in public sector decision making. (PLP) will increase seats for religious minorities in the local government, national and provincial assemblies with a minimum of 33 percent of the seats allocated for non-Muslim women. (PLP) will allocate a minimum 5% general seats tickets to religious minority members. h. (PLP) will ensure security, restoration and facilitation of temples, churches, gurdwaras or any other place of worship of religious minorities. i. (PLP) will increase job quota for religious minorities and ensure its implementation. j. (PLP)will declare official holidays on all main religious festivals celebrated by religious minorities. k. ANP will remove hate material against religious minorities from the textbooks. l. (PLP) will amend blasphemy law to avoid its misuse. Pakistan Labour Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 , Provincial Autonomy: Strengthening and Implementation of the 18th Constitutional Amendment (PLP) has struggled for decades for devolution of powers from the Federal level to the Provinces and their rights over their own resources. The 18th Constitutional Amendment is a significant step towards devolution of powers to the Provinces. (PLP) will take effective measures for its effective implementation. It will vehemently oppose and resist any attempts to roll it back or the Federal encroachment in subjects devolved to the Provinces such as health and education etc. (PLP) will continue its efforts to strengthen implementation and build on the revolutionary 18th Constitutional Amendment in consultation with other political parties. I. Education The education system of Pakistan suffers from the malaise of both access and quality. Post 18th amendment, the State is obligated to provide free and compulsory education to children from age five to sixteen years. (PLP) believes that education is instrumental in dealing with the threats of terrorism, extremism and bigotry. While primary and secondary education serve as initial building blocks; higher and university education enable a country to produce skills both in the field of social and natural sciences. The growing concern among researchers and practitioners that future universities may produce students with an intolerant and extremist mindset need an urgent policy attention. Besides improving access and quality of primary, secondary and tertiary education; (PLP)will specifically focus on education sector at all levels to evolve a progressive, pluralistic, law-abiding and tolerant society.(PLP) will also focus on technical skills development and career counselling from higher secondary levels. It will initiate programmes and funds to create employment opportunities for the educated youth. a. (PLP) will declare an education emergency at the Federal and the Provincial levels. (PLP) will increase funds allocation for education to 6% of the GDP. b.(PLP) will raise literacy levels especially for women by 25 percent c. Education in Mother Tongue: (PLP) will bring in a policy where primary education will be imparted in mother tongue as research shows the positive effects of teaching in mother tongue on the overall conceptual abilities of children in learning lessons. English and Urdu will be taught as languages. Other languages like Chinese will also be introduced at the higher secondary school level. d. After 18th Amendment the education sector is a provincial subject. (PLP) will establish Provincial Higher Education Commission which will work as an autonomous body with constitutional cover. Higher Education shall be the subject of Provincial Higher Education Commission (PHEC). e. “One District One University” slogan will be followed and ANP shall ensure that in the first year of its government it will build universities in the newly merged districts in Pakhtunkhwa and districts that are without Universities. Universities and Colleges will be made autonomous bodies with qualified Board of Governors. f. Universities will be declared centers of excellence in research offering MS, PhD and other research projects with academic linkages with local and international institutions. g. (PLP) will start special students exchange programmes with Universities within the Province, Country and Internationally. h. In Pakhtunkhwa the eight Districts i-e Bunair, Shangla, Kohistan, Torghar, Chitral, Upper Dir, Karak and newly merged districts, shall be declared as district below par and special funds shall be allocated to these districts to bring them at par with other districts and the rest of the country. i. Merit based research fellowships will be awarded to MS and PhD students in public universities. Hostel facilities will be made available for students and teachers especially to women on or close to the Universities campuses. Awami National Party: Election Manifesto 2018 11 j. Will introduce a single system of education which meets International standards of quality education. ANP believes multiple systems of education protect and perpetuate class and feudal interests. Uniform curriculum shall be introduced for all public/private schools across the board. To increase school enrollments and minimize dropout rate especially of girls, ANP will build on the special incentivised programmes started by its Pakhtunkhwa Provincial Government in districts with low literacy levels. k. ANP will devolve the administrative and fiscal responsibility of Primary schools to Local Governments. Will de-bureaucratize and decentralize educational governance and work towards eliminating political interference and corruption in the education sector. l. Access to schools especially for girls shall be made possible by all means. Each Union Council will have minimum three (03) Primary Schools for Boys and the same number for Girls. m. Student-Teacher Ratio:(PLP) will introduce a One Teacher, One Class Policy at Primary School level. Each class at the primary level will have one teacher for a maximum number of 30 children. Parents Teachers Association shall be given more financial and administration autonomy. n. ANP will give preference to recruiting qualified women teachers at the Primary School level. o. Education Task Force to Review Curriculum: ANP will establish an Education Task Force to review and reform the existing curriculum to remove hate literature, discrimination, racism, stereotyping and unwarranted glorification of violence and wars. (PLP) will in still peace, gender equality, civic education, religious tolerance, empathy with the poor through the revised curriculum. p. Lessons on civil rights and responsibilities, cultural sensitivities, peace-building, environmental protection, abiding by rule of law will be incorporated in the curriculum at all levels of education. (PLP) will also incorporate lessons on local history, indigenous culture and will include local heroes in the fields of political, social, and culture.(PLP) will introduce specialized optional subjects, for example “Rohology”, Ethics & Comparative Religions at Higher Education level. New posts for teaching “Rohology” & other selected specialized subjects will be created. (PLP)will ensure elimination of gender disparities in education and will ensure equal access to all levels of education for the vulnerable, underprivileged, including persons with disabilities. q. Education Monitoring Mechanism: Building on its Government’s initiatives, (PLP) will put in place a strong monitoring mechanism for teacher and staff attendance in primary and secondary schools. r. (PLP) will ensure induction of qualified language, science and math teacher in primary and secondary schools to fill the gap. s. (PLP) will ensure provision of basic facilities to government schools such as boundary walls, toilets, additional classrooms, drinking water, electricity, furniture and stationary. Special effort will be made to provide schools with libraries, playgrounds, computer and science laboratories. For this purpose, the existing Parent-Teacher Associations (PTAs) will be strengthened at all government schools and a collaboration of PTAs with local governments will be established. t. Teacher Training: (PLP)will devise specialized trainings for school teachers to enhance their abilities to bring positive changes in children’s attitudes coupled with imparting quality education. Promotions of teachers will be linked with successful completion of training. u. Merit based Recruitment: (PLP) will ensure that all teachers and staff are recruited on merit.(PLP) will end political interference in recruitment, posting and transfer for Pakistan Labour Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 12 teaching and support staff. v.(PLP) will build the Elementary Education Fund to initiate Teachers welfare, health, housing and old age benefits programmes. w. (PLP) will review and reform teachers services structure and rules. (PLP) will make special effort to remove ad-hocism from school employment and services structures. x. Regulation of Private Schools: While Pakhtunkhwa government has approved the Pakhtunkhwa Private School Regulatory Act but it has failed to implement the same. (PLP) will ensure strict implementation of the regulator authority and will ensure quality education in the private schools with a rationalized fee structure. (PLP) will ensure that teachers in private schools get a minimum salary in accordance with the Provincial Government’s policies. y. Special focus on areas where Literacy Rate is low: (PLP) government will commission special studies to identify regions/district where overall literacy rates and female literacy rates are low than the average literacy rates. Special programs for these regions/districts will be devised so that these areas may be brought at par with relatively good performing districts. z. Controlling Drop-Out Rates: Research shows that there is a worrying trend of children drop out from schools at 5th, 8th and 10th class. The main reason is the unavailability of schools in the neighborhood. (PLP) will make efforts to provide schools within a 2- kilometer radius to every child to fulfill its constitutional obligation. In areas where it is not possible, school transport facilities will be provided to students. (PLP) will focus on rehabilitation of the destroyed structures of schools due to natural and man made disasters across the country. bb. Will build on the existing concept of elected Parent Teacher Associations (PTA) with financial freedom for infrastructure development and academic audit to ensure participation of parents in achievement of academic excellence in the Provinces. cc.(PLP) will initiate students psycho-social, educational and career counselling from the higher secondary school level. dd. Merit and need based scholarships will be available for public school’s students especially for girl’s students. .(PLP) will support revival of student unions in Colleges and Universities. ff. Vocational centers providing market-based skills will be established and strengthened with certified staff in all sectors of local Labour industry to provide suitable options for students who are unable to acquire a professional degree . Will de-monopolize textbooks publication. Steps will be taken for revival of the tradition of co-curriculum activities in schools and colleges. ii. Subject Specialist positions for “Mother languages” (PLP) will allocate at least 6 percent of the GDP to health. b. (PLP) will work towards decentralization of health services to bring them closer to the door step with special emphasis on improvement of rural primary health services. c. (PLP) will introduce family medical registration and record keeping system at each BHU and RHC levels. It will also introduce referral system of medical cases to the
- Pakistan Labour Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 secondary and tertiary care levels with transportation facility on no loss no profit basis. d. ANP will introduce state of the art fully equipped and functional professional emergency services at the district level. e. (PLP) will introduce a network of specialized hospitals at District level. f. ANP will establish fully functional burn and trauma hospitals at each divisional level. g. (PLP)’s emphasis will be on mother and child healthcare, provision of clean drinking water and preventive healthcare. h. (PLP) will give emphasis on primary health care (PHC) and will provide firm and good foundation for the establishment of secondary and tertiary care. i(PLP) will initiate Baacha Khan healthcare packages and incentives for women, workers and senior citizens. j. (PLP) will ensure mandatory safety and health benefits in informal and formal sectors. k. (PLP) will ensure full participation of the community in primary health care and will provide incentives for health staff especially those working in remote areas. l. (PLP) will focus on upgrading and better equipping BHU, RHC to provide good foundation for the health delivery system. Effective immunization and Hepatitis control will be initiated with the help of the community. m. Mortality and morbidity rates from common infectious diseases will be reduced to minimum by providing preventive and curative basic measures at the primary health care levels. n. It will ensure continuous health education for all the health care staff i.e. Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics and health technicians.(PLP) will setup district level institutions for Nurses, male & female, paramedics and health technicians training linked to District Hospitals. o. (PLP) will ensure coordination between public health sectors i.e. Health Department, Public Health Engineering, and industrial and environmental departments. p. It will ensure liaison between medical institutions, health departments, and private health sectors to ensure a balance between demand and supply of all health staff and health facilities. q. (PLP) will ensure quality control and stringent regulation of private medical services and institutions. r. (PLP) will take special measures to regulate quality of medicines and supplies. It will improve registration and regulation of private medical schools and hospitals, herbal medicines preparations, centers and practitioners. s. (PLP) will initiate special preventative healthcare awareness programmes through mass media. t. (PLP)will establish drugs rehabilitation and awareness centers at District levels. III. Population Planning and Well-being (PLP) stands committed to ensuring well being of all citizens and to addressing on a priority basis the rapidly increasing population and its adverse effects on quality of life. The (PLP) led Pakhtunkhwa government passed comprehensive women and child protection legislation. (PLP) is committed to the following: a. Will ensure a holistic, cross sectoral and integrated approach to population planning and well-being, linking programmes and initiatives with health, education, Awami National Party: Election Manifesto 2018 14 nutrition, environment, skills development and poverty eradication etc. b. Will ensure that public and private programmes are focused on mother and child’s health and well-being as of highest priority. c. Will work towards stabilizing and reducing population growth to less than 1 percent by 2025. d. Will double the per ca-pita expenditure on public sector spending on population planning and well-being. e. Will improve quality and access of services especially ensuring better rural outreach for access to high quality birth spacing services. f. Will institutionalize training of community women health workers and birth attendants and link their services with the Basic Health Units and Mother and Child Healthcare Centers. g. Will ensure community support in implementation and monitoring of programmes. h. Will institutionalize a credible mechanism for research and monitoring at the Provincial levels. i. Will launch communication campaign addressing men, women, families and community to promote mother and child health and well being. j. Will extend social security and retirement benefits to support parents in old age. k. Will invest in skills development, recreational and employment opportunities for the youth population. IV. Youth Development & Employment a. (PLP)will develop a holistic youth policy with special emphasis on providing opportunities to youth for creative learning, art and culture, recreation and sports, employment, skills and vocational capacity development. b. In order to ensure enabling environment for propagation of science, technology and employment issues of young researchers; academia will be connected with industry. Connecting science research departments across each Province with relevant industries will not only make research work more fruitful but also increase chances of new employment opportunities for young science researchers and also prospects and progress of science and technology. c. Special attention will be paid to addressing challenges faced by the educated unemployed. Facilities like internship, placement bureaus and advisory organizations will be provided to help them find jobs. d. Comprehensive projects for self-employment would also be given a priority. (PLP) will invest in improving the quality standards of existing vocational training centers at the District level. New centres will be started in Districts which do not have the centers or where there is demand for additional centers. e. (PLP) will develop a cadre of youth volunteers in each district trained in disaster mitigation and management. The youth volunteers will be connected with the Local Government. f. (PLP) will start a network of youth skills and vocational development, psycho social and career guidance centers at the District level. (PLP) is committed to the protection of rights of workers employed in the formal and informal sectors and will ensure their rights to a safe working environment, employment and old age benefits. a. (PLP) believes trade unions are critical in protecting Labour rights, safety standards Pakistan Labour Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 15 and in ensuring better living standards and opportunities for workers(PLP) will continue to support trade unions and will review and amend any laws that restrict formation or working of trade unions.(PLP) will ensure workers access to improved health care, education, skills development and holidays. c. (PLP) will revise and facilitate implementation of Labour laws to ensure safe and secure working environment in both formal and informal sectors. d. (PLP) will regularly review and set minimum wage and workers benefits comparable to cost of living and inflation rates. Will increase the current minimum wage to Rs. 25,000. VI. Agriculture, Livestock and Poultry development Agriculture is the lifeline of Pakistan’s economy accounting for 19.5 % of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), employing 42.3 % of the Labour force and providing raw material for several value-added sectors. (PLP) will thus give top priority to development of Pakistan’s agriculture sector by doubling its development budget so that it plays its central role in country’s development, food security and poverty reduction. (PLP)’s agriculture policy will consist of the following main points; a. Improve Irrigation System and Water Availability: (PLP) will devise a highly efficient irrigation management system which will not only enhance the existing water availability but will also manage the demand for water. Water conservation and storage will be given top priority. b. Domestic and foreign investments will be sought to initiate projects like Chashma Right Bank Canal (CRBC) to bring barren areas under-cultivation to increase crop production. Such as small and large irrigation projects will be initiated across Pakistan with special focus on underdeveloped regions of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Balochistan, Southern Punjab and Sindh. Improvement of the existing canal networks will be also extensively reviewed and revamped. c. Establish 500 KVA transmission line from Chasma Barrage to Dera Ismail Khan and Zhob for rehabilitation of Baluchistan’s agricultural production. d. Ensure due share of water for all Provinces: (PLP) will ensure that all provinces get their due share of water as agreed among provinces in the apportionment of the waters of the Indus River System in 1991. (PLP) will ensure the newly merged district of Pakhtunkwa are included in the water distribution shares. e. (PLP) will extend agriculture credit to small farmers to alleviate financial pressures of farmers in the least developed districts and the newly merged districts of Pakhtunkhwa. Increased credit to farmers in Pakistan will be ensured through interventions from State Bank of Pakistan via commercial banks. f. Farm-to-Market Roads & Cold Storage: (PLP) will initiate rural road projects across all districts in order to improve farm to market access for timely transportation of agriculture produce to markets. Besides farm-to-market roads, (PLP) will build cold storage at Tehsil Levels to facilitate fruits and vegetables availability throughout the year with controlled prices. Similarly, for the newly merged districts of Pakhtunkha and least developed districts (PLP) will use relevant forums to ensure that Federal and Provincial governments pay attention to the infrastructure needs of the agriculture sector. g. Support Prices for Agriculture Produce: ANP will announce support prices for all major crops including wheat, rice, cotton, sugarcane and tobacco to facilitate the small growers of a minimum guaranteed income. h. Subsidized Fertilizers and Seeds. (PLP) will subsidize the fertilizers for the benefits Pakistan Labour Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 16 of small farmers to maintain prices at a level where small farmers can utilize to enhance their crop productions. i. ANP will also establish scientific research centers for seed improvement, which will cope with changing weather patterns to increase the productivity. Research collaboration of these institutes will be established with agriculture universities across the provinces to increase efficiency. j. ANP will establish provincial fertilizer corporations on the pattern of national fertilizer corporations. k. Improved Agriculture Extension Services: ANP will take practical steps to improve agriculture extension services by increasing the number of trained agricultural extension workers. l. Promotion of Modern Farming Techniques: Special development projects will be initiated to introduce modern farming techniques so that per acre yield improves. m. (PLP) will also devise projects to remove water logging and salinity problems. Strengthen the existing and initiate new agro-based industries will be started. n. Special incentives would be devised to encourage the adoption of more water efficient farming technologies such as vertical farming. (PLP)will establish more Nursery farms on the pattern of Tarnab Farms at district level. (PLP) will devise special programs to invest in areas of livestock, poultry and dairy products to ensure rural livelihood opportunities. This will not only improve the production in these sectors but will help in stopping the rural to urban migration. p. Will construct small & medium water reservoirs and dams, small and large canals. (PLP) will invest in crop research, forestry, markets for agriculture products. q. Livestock is a major contributor in this sector.(PLP) will give special attention to this sector because of its large-scale impact on poverty reduction, nutrition and economic growth. r. Will prohibit and strictly regulate the use of harmful pesticides, steroids and adulteration.(PLP) will initiate technical, marketing and financial support to encourage dairy farming entrepreneurship at District level. VII. Energy, Oil, Natural Gas and Mineral Resources: a. (PLP) will continue its efforts to uncap Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s royalty from the net profits from hydel generation. b. Devolve generation and supply of electricity to Provinces with WAPDA only playing the role of a coordination body. Headquarter of WAPDA will be shifted from Lahore to Islamabad. c. In the transition period until the devolution of power generation and supply, consumer rates shall be fixed in accordance with the cost of production at the source for the Province where the power is generated instead of the standard aggregated rates. d. (PLP) will invest in the improvement and up gradation of power infrastructure especially transmission lines. e. Implementation of article 172 (3) for providing Provinces with proper representation in control and management of oil, natural gas and mineral resources. In view of new oil and gas discoveries, new royalty rates will be negotiated to Pakistan Labour Party: (PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 generate more resources for the development of the Provinces in accordance with the 18th amendment of the Constitution. f. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Gas and Oil Company initiated by the (PLP) led Pakhtunkhwa government shall be taken to its logical conclusion and similar initiatives will be considered in other Provinces as well. g. Alternate sources of energy including coal, run of the river, solar and wind power shall be explored and developed. h. The ravages of terrorism and extremism for several decades have damaged the country resource base and infrastructure, especially in Pakhtunkhwa. (PLP) will strive for rehabilitation of natural resources and infrastructure as a priority. VIII. Industrial & technical advancement a. (PLP) will accelerate large scale industrial development. Investment will be promoted especially in industries based on oil and gas, water and power and alternate energy sources. b. Large scope exists in the extraction and polishing of marble, gemstones and mineral processing.(PLP) will encourage investment in these industries. c. Special emphasis will be laid on food preservation and processing industry so as to increase the incomes of fruit and vegetable farmers. d. Packaging and Marketing of products will be developed and linked with local industries. e. (PLP) will provide special incentives, technical, financial and marketing support to local businesses manufacturing and marketing everyday goods, quality medicines and surgical instruments to counter the monopoly of multinational companies. f(PLP) will Industrial and Economic policies to be made in consultation with the Chambers of Commerce. g. Suitable districts for setting up Industrial zones will be identified and special efforts will be made to revive existing industrial zones. h.(PLP) will take special measures to improve transit trade especially with neighboring countries. IX.Art and Culture a. Will preserve and promote cultural heritage through a comprehensive culture mapping. b. Will expand space for creative cultural expression through encouraging cultural practitioners, art and literary organizations. c. Will promote indigenous sports, folklore and indigenous languages through establishment of Arts Councils and Community Cultural Associations. d. (PLP) will setup film and drama studios and thereat facilities at divisional level through public private partnership. e. Will introduce Culture Education into government education system. f. Will start a housing project and old age benefits including health insurance for artists. g. Will encourage and promote fine arts, performing arts and visual media, as part of a wider cultural legacy in a historical as well as contemporary context. h. (PLP) will encourage thoughts and aspirations of artists, intellectuals, poets, writers, artisans, architects and all others related with cultural activities while retaining the integrity of cultural diversity in different parts of the Provinces. Pakistan Labour Party (PLP) : Election Manifesto 2018 18 i. (PLP) will study the devastation inflicted on indigenous culture by extremism and terrorism and will take effective steps for its rehabilitation and restoration. j. Will take necessary steps for protection of sites of spiritual significance and highlight respect and reverence for all belief systems, religions and sects. k. Will encourage civil society’s cultural initiatives like cultural exchange programmes, exhibitions and growth of public-private partnerships to support arts and culture. l. Will discourage copyright piracy; provide material incentives, employment, support and exposure, in view of competitive global trends eroding local art, culture and values. m. Will continuously make efforts to develop and strengthen the implementation framework for Culture Policy with a view of the post 18th amendment scenario, including setting up of administrative machinery and funding allocation for annual plans and recurring positions. n. (PLP) will work on creating of special fund for artists’ welfare, health, housing and old age benefits on a priority basis. (PLP) will establish residential colonies for artists. (PLP) will hold annual performing arts award ceremonies to recognize and encourage artists. s. (PLP) will establish Arts Colleges like the National College of Arts at the Divisional levels. t.(PLP) will continue its efforts to establish TV channels at the Provincial levels through public private partnership.. Environment Environmental degradation may cost Pakistan’s economy over Rs 365 billion every year of which inadequate water supply, sanitation and hygiene accounts for Rs 112 billion, agricultural soil degradation Rs 70 billion, indoor pollution Rs 67 billion, urban air pollution Rs 65 billion, lead exposure Rs 45 billion and land degradation and deforestation Rs 6 billion, says the new Economic Survey of Pakistan 2013-2104. a. (PLP) will lay special emphasis on the protection of natural environment and promotion of biodiversity. b. (PLP) will review policy for urban planning and management. The design and alignment of underground and surface drainage would avoid or minimize the impact on existing environmental values. This includes direct impacts such as tree removal and habitat disturbance as well as ecological process issue. c. Will ensure improved access to clean air, drinking water, waste management systems, sanitation and open spaces. (PLP) will also urgently address the problems of safe disposal of hospital, industrial and other toxic waste. e. (PLP) will focus on improvement of urban waste management system. (PLP) will give top priority to clean drinking water supply coverage and access to Pakistan Labour Party (PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 19 improved sanitation facilities. High priority will be given to water management, storage facilities, cleaning of rivers, streams and lakes. g. Will increase land area protected for the conservation of wildlife. h. Will double the forest cover including state-owned, private forest and farmlands, as percentage of the total land area. Increase forest area through targeted incentive’s programmes. Penalties for cutting forests illegally will be raised. i. The literature about protection of environment will be included in text books of school, colleges and universities. j. (PLP) will focus on investing in good quality, fuel efficient, comfortable and reliable low cost intra and intercity mass transportation and introduce special measures to reduce use of private vehicles. (PLP)will also devise a policy for restricting old and ill maintained vehicles causing severe air pollution on the road. k. Building water reservoirs to store water for later use, Pakistan wastes billions of gallons of water every year. Internationally tested and tried water management system will be introduced to encourage water conservation and prevent wastage. l. Provincial Environmental Protection Agencies & tribunals will be strengthened to effectively monitor and act against environmental violations. m. (PLP)will proactively explore and support alternate energy sources especially solar, air power and run of the river energy. n. (PLP) endorses the Paris 2015 climate agreement and will take necessary steps for its legislation and implementation to contribute significantly to the reduction of risks and the impacts of climate change. XI. Sports a. Sports facilities and activities will be made compulsory in all schools and colleges partnership in protecting, restoring and promoting heritage and religious sites. XII. Tourism Development: a. (PLP)will work on an integrated socially, culturally & environmentally sustainable tourism policy in consultation with key stakeholders & experts. b. Will introduce the concept of tourism as a right for all citizens. Will encourage & facilitate public private partnership to promote tourism industry & ensure improved, secure & affordable facilities for inter & intra Provincial & foreign tourists. c. (PLP) will review & support special tourists visa policies to encourage & facilitate foreign tourists. Will also work on a visa on arrival policy for tourists especially those visiting from neighboring countries. d. Will invest in improved tourism infrastructure and facilities in the identified tourists Pakistan Labour Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 destinations. e. The list of tourist destinations will be developed & reviewed regularly in consultation with relevant stakeholders & experts. f.(PLP) will encourage development & promotion of diversity tourism including heritage, art, cultural & religious sites, cycle & trekking, nature walks routes, traditional sports, festivals & cuisines, mountaineering, ski resorts, Jeep rallies etc. g. Establish & facilitate local tourism sector related technical training institutes & placement centers to provide local skilled employment opportunities such as tourist guides training, language courses etc. h. Will maintain long term employment opportunities in the tourism sector with fair working conditions especially for all. i. Hold seasonal festivals to preserve, encourage & promote local art, culture & crafts. j.Will give special attention to improved standards of tourism service centers, hotels, restaurants & tele & internet connectivity on the tourist destination routes. XIII. Information and Communication a.(PLP) is committed to freedom of expression and right to information and communication. b. (PLP) is against unconstitutional and illegal wire tapping, invasion of citizens’ privacy. It will bring transparency in blocking and censorship policies. c. (PLP) is committed to freedom of expression and right to information. It will review existing legislation and ensure effective implementation of right to information law. d. (PLP) will facilitate Provincial governments in setting up and running Provincial television channels and radio stations independently. Will decentralize authorization of will make sure that every penny of the development funds meant for the new districts is spent there. We shall strive to divert even additional funds to bring the area at par with the rest of the province in terms of socio economic development. We intend to follow the example of the former West Germany that diverted more funds to the former East Germany from its own share in the interest of even development, social cohesion and integration. c. (PLP) will ensure reasonable representation for the elected representatives in provincial and federal governments so that they are fully part and parcel of decision making process. d.(PLP) will vigilantly monitor the implementation of merger and reforms plan for the new districts approved by the Parliament and the Provincial Assembly and will guard against its derailment or delaying by the vested interest. We shall particularly not allow the imposition of FCR in a new garb. We shall identify benchmarks and timelines for the implementation of merger and reforms plan in the interest of the local people. e. (PLP) will ensure that the local security personnel are recruited into the Police force, their salaries and benefits are reviewed and brought at par with the rest of Pakistan Labour Party (PLP): Election Manifesto 2018 21 the Police force in the Province. f. (PLP) will remain closely in touch with the nascent civil society of the new districts of Pakhtunkhwa and shall provide full support for strengthening it. We shall consistently work for building, expanding and consolidating Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Press Clubs, Bar Associations, Women Rights Organizations, Academic Bodies, Students Associations and NGOs in these districts. g. (PLP) will work for building physical and intellectual infrastructure in the new districts on priority to lay sound and sustainable basis for their speedy socio-economic development and to enable the people of the area to compete with other regions. Following are the details of the program. I. Education: a.(PLP) shall build as many primary, schools as possible to make sure the admission of maximum number of school going kids into them. Special attention will be given to building girls schools so that our daughters are able to quench the thirst for knowledge closer to their homes. Middle and high schools will also be built according to the needs of the area. Priority will be given to areas that have no schools. b. Polytechnic colleges, vocational and craft training centers will be established in every district and subdivision to provide opportunity to young people for developing their skills. c. A network of inter and degree colleges will be built so that students completing their school education have the facility of college education in their area. Girls’ colleges will figure prominently in this program. Commerce colleges will also be built to open doors of this discipline for students. d. Students’ quotas and scholarships for students from the new districts in other areas of the province and the country shall be maintained until similar facilities are made available to them in their own areas. e. At least one university will be built in each new district for providing access to the students to get higher education within their own district. II. Health a. Survey will be immediately carried out of the existing health facilities in each of the new districts to ascertain their capacity and potential. Special attention will be paid to the availability of specialists, operation theaters, number of beds and medical facilities for children and mothers. PLP) will strengthen the District Headquarter Hospital in terms of staff, equipment, variety of departments, laboratories, supply of medicines and ambulances. b. We shall build hospitals at sub division levels and BHUs in union councils so that people can have access to health care near their homes. c. Mobile health units will be formed to pay regular visits to far flung areas where basic health facilities are yet to be built. III. Ownership over Land and Natural Resources a. Almost all the new districts of Pakhtunkhwa are mountainous and there is not much land for agriculture and building houses. But it is very important to remember most of the land, including mountains, is communal property. ANP will make sure that ownership of the land is basically vested in the inhabitants of the area which include plain areas, mountains and forests. Any changes Pakistan Labour l Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 22 involving land, including land settlement, use of land for developing infrastructure and housing shall be done with the consent of owners of the land (the local population). b. The local population being the actual owners of the natural resources will be entitled to royalty for the use of natural resources (including oil, gas and all types of minerals). c. Town Planning would be introduced in the new districts on urgent basis with the participation and support of the local people and civil amenities will be provided to all existing towns and urban centers in the new districts. IV. Economic Development a. The new districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have rich natural resources, manpower, scenic locations and trade routes therefore it has great potential for economic development. (PLP) will prepare a special development plan for the area within the provincial development plan. We shall also involve the federal government for making its due contribution in the development process. The plan will focus on mapping natural resources, identifying areas for developing particular industries, building infrastructure and developing connectivity. . (PLP) will use the resources of the provincial government to use the great potential of the area for live stock and dairy farming. We shall encourage a transition from traditional modes to the modern ones in this area. . Almost all the new districts are full of exquisite natural beauty and panoramic views. The area has great potential for developing a dynamic and robust tourist industry. The first thing that the provincial government needs to do is to prepare a plan and start building infrastructure for developing tourism. g. Except the Orakzai district all the other new six districts border at Afghanistan and regional trade has been an important source of livelihood for the people of area. This will definitely be an important step towards fully opening the area and linking it to CPEC. . Social, Economic & Financial Reforms One of the primary duties of the state is provision of a better life for the people. Political rights and freedoms have to be accompanied by advancement in the social and economic spheres. Poverty, disease and illiteracy have to be eliminated and social justice ensured. High population growth, huge non-development and military expenditures and heavy domestic and external debt servicing have contributed to the low social, economic and human development indicators.Pakistan Labour Party (PLP): Election Manifesto 2018 23 a.(PLP) will ensure procedures for getting CNIC is improved and made transparent. Discrimination on the bases of gender, ethnicity and religion in the registration of CNIC procedures will not be tolerated. b. (PLP) believes shelter is a fundamental right. (PLP) will take policy measures to regularize slum dwellings (Katcha Abadi) on ownership basis throughout the country. c. (PLP) shall ensure Parliament and Parliamentary Committees role is strengthened in nominations and endorsements of senior level positions especially ambassadors, judges of the superior judiciary, chairperson and members of commissions and boards of public corporations etc. d. Post 18th Constitutional Amendment, (PLP) will strengthen Provincial Public Services to bring it at par with the Federal Civil Services. Further, Federal civil servants posted to the Province will be appointed with the consent of the Provincial government. The Provincial government will have complete control over all officials serving in the Province. e. At the Federal level, (PLP) will continue to strive for the Provinces rightful share of appointments at all levels. f.A comprehensive package of economic, social and legal measures shall be proposed to protect Labour rights and interests. g. Efforts shall be made to narrow the difference in salaries between the highest and lowest paid government employees. Salaries, benefits and minimum wage shall be indexed to the cost of living. Benefits, subsidies and privileges granted to former rulers of States, their dependents or other special classes of citizens shall be abolished. i. The elimination of bribery and corruption shall be given the top-most priority and practical steps. The privacy of citizens in domestic matters and in communications shall be ensured. Wire-tapping, censorship, and entry into private premises without legal authority shall be prohibited. . (PLP)considers evolving a political will and consensus imperative for setting economic and institutional reforms agenda to effectively address the country’s economic, social and energy crises. l. ANP considers economic growth with equity between different social classes, gender, rural and urban areas, and between the Provinces as indispensable for eradicating poverty and improving human development indicators. m.(PLP) will support public sector development and explore public private partnership wherever possible to ensure cost effective and quality services. n. (PLP) will encourage and protect foreign investment Employment, Technical Training and Rural Development Schemes initiated by the(PLP) led Pakhtunkhwa government and will replicate these programmes in other areas. p. (PLP) will focus attention on improvement of Industrial and agricultural productivity through adoption of new technologies, more efficient techniques for production, human resource development, and lower inflation. q. Threats of extremism, terrorism and targeted killing have had negative implications for the economy. (PLP) will continue its efforts to deal with the root causes of violence, sectarianism and extremism to revive the economy; r. Land grabbing in Gwadar and other parts of Balochistan, Karachi and other parts of Awami National Party: Election Manifesto 2018 24 the country will be dealt with firmly and Provincial resources will be developed in accordance with the will of the people. s. (PLP) will introduce legislation & policies to make Pakistan’s citizenship & domicile mandatory for purchase & ownership of land. I. Fiscal & Tax Reform a. (PLP) will increase the Tax to GDP ratio from the current low level to a minimum of 15%. b. To increase the tax base the Party shall impose taxes that tap the wealth and incomes of the rich rather than burden the less well to do. Direct tax net will be increased to 70% and tax collection shall be improved on a priority basis. c. (PLP) believes that incomes from all sources should be taxed and any exemptions provided should be abolished. Incomes from agriculture, real estate dealings, defense related businesses, property of defence personnel in cantonments and incomes from speculative markets etc shall be brought in the tax ambit. d. The debt burden has crippled the economy. Debt servicing has become the single largest item of expenditure in the government budget reflecting the combined impact of surge in the volume of domestic and foreign debt, rise in domestic interest rates and depreciation of rupee. The debt management strategy has ignored the efficient and effective use of the borrowed funds. This is largely due to corruption, capital flight, adverse impacts of loans on domestic savings and spending on consumption rather than investment items. (PLP) will address these challenges as follows: i. Adhere to fiscal responsibility and debt limitation act; ii. Top priority would be given to payment of expensive debts to make the overall burden manageable; iii. Domestic savers and foreign investors would be encouraged to invest in the country; iv. Diversify borrowing by investing in both short and long-term securities; v. Make special efforts to boost the country’s exports and remittances; vi. Being an agro based economy, policy focus will be on the development of agriculture and agriculture related businesses; vii. Trade deficit would be reduced mainly through reducing the existing trust deficit and improving quality standards; viii. Expand regional trade in particular with Afghanistan. The present two main road links (Torkham and Speen Boldak) are insufficient to cater for the growing trade between the two countries. At least ten more roads and rail links will be built to enhance bilateral trade; ix. Invest in different traditional crafts in the socio economically backward areas of the country to enable workers to create employment for themselves; x. Expand the share of manufacturing sector from the present 19% of the GDP to almost 30% within the next 10 years. xi. State corporations will be made more efficient, transparent and corruption within these institutions will be dealt with severely, xii. Necessary steps will be taken to modernize the industrial sector to reduce cost of manufacturing. Export duty will be decreased and speculative business will be discouraged, besides developing an infrastructure to bring back the economy on the right track; Pakistan Labour Party (PLP)Election Manifesto 2018 25 xiii. (PLP) will ensure that the government assume responsibilities of creating the right kind of incentive structures to stop the decline in manufacturing output. Focusing mainly on quality of human capital formation and building appropriate technological capabilities through increased investments in industrial research and development; Will ensure large scale investment in energy sector in collaboration with the Provincial governments to kick start the development of hydel power, solar, gas and oil and other alternative sources of energy in the country. xv. Provincial resources were reduced, when the Federal Government took away cantonment taxes from the Provinces without relieving it of the responsibility for the provision of infrastructure, services and maintenance of law and order. The federation will be urged to pay for these services through the Council of Common Interest. xvi. Many large organisations like the National Highway Authority, the Civil Aviation Authority and others were taken out of the purview of the National Economic Council. The result was that equity in distribution of funds and projects cannot be maintained. (PLP) will bring these under the Council of Common Interest to ensure equity.(PLP) will explore the feasibility of setting up Peshawar and Quetta stock exchanges. . China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) The China–Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is an under construction $45 billion plus mega project intended to upgrade and expand infrastructure across Pakistan.(PLP) believes that the original Kashghar Gawadar Economic route plans focused on ensuring benefit to the terror affected and under developed districts of Baluchistan and Pakhtunkhwa as a priority. It was the first to raise concerns when the original plans were changed from the western route to the eastern route under the CPEC project. (PLP) held protests and APCs to evolve a political consensus on reverting project plans to the original route. (PLP) expressed serious concerns when the PML N led Government backtracked on the PM’s commitments to the APC to make the original western route a priority. CPEC is a multi billion dollars project which has been termed as a game-changer by analysts and officials but due to deviation from the original plan, there is nothing for Pakhtunkhwa, Baluchistan and tribal belt. (PLP) will ensure that the mega CPEC substantially benefits the least developed and terrorism affected new districts (former FATA), Baluchistan and Pakhtunkhwa. It will ensure protection of the rights of people of Pakhtunkhwa and Baluchistan. t Pakistan Labour Party:(PLP) Election Manifesto 2018 26 and Dargai will be initiated to ensure uninterrupted communication with China in case of land slides or other nature calamities on the Karakorum Highway. c. Cheap potential hydel projects of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa will be included in CPEC in addition to the coal/ thermal projects. Linking of Pakhtunkhwa districts to the k. Conduct a feasibility study for Wakhan Corridor as part of the regional connectivity. II. External Affairs Pakistan owes its importance in the world to a number of factors, not all of its own making. Its geo-strategic location is often cited as a primary one, but in fact, it is a mixed blessing. Pakistan borders on four countries, each of which has played or continues to play a major part in international affairs. These countries are China, India, Iran and Afghanistan. Pakistan’s proximity to these States makes it a useful tool for powerful countries to exploit it for their own global interests and, while this can be turned to advantage, it can also pose a threat to the country’s independence and freedom of action. The country’s foreign policy has, therefore, to be finely adjusted to guard against these dangers while, at the same time, it must serve to further the national interest in terms of economic and commercial progress. Keeping this in view, (PLP) will work for a independent Foreign Policy and relations rooted in non violence, peace and mutual respect. It will contain the following elements: a. Friendly and peaceful relations with all countries, particularly with neighbors. b. Compliance with the Charter of the United Nations and full participation in all its developmental and peace-keeping activities. Similarly, Pakistan should take part in the work of other international organizations of which it is a member. In particular, it should actively engage in international efforts to promote an equitable international order. It should also support international moves for arms reduction and abolition of nuclear weapons on a universal and non-discriminatory basis. c. Promotion of the concept of a multi polar world which would avoid universal domination by one or two major powers. d. Use of diplomacy as a tool for promoting the country’s economic and trade interests, diversifying its market and attracting foreign investment. e. Special attention to be paid to relations with Afghanistan. In view of the commonalities in culture, faith, language and history between people of Pakistan Labour Party (PLP) : Election Manifesto 2018 Pakistan particularly Pukhtunkhwa and Baluchistan and those of Afghanistan. Determined efforts shall be made to promote cooperation in every field including economic, commercial, educational and cultural. Bilateral relations shall be conducted strictly on the basis of sovereign equality and non-interference in each other’s internal affairs. f. Similarly, establishment of peaceful, cooperative good neighborly relations with India will be given high priority. All issues including Jammu and Kashmir and other outstanding issues would be solved through peaceful negotiations and open dialogue shall become the hallmark of bilateral relations. g. Establishment of peaceful and cooperative relations with Iran, Russia and Central Asian republics will be actively pursued on the basis of sovereign equality and non-interference in each other’s internal affairs. h. The traditional close relations with China will be maintained and further developed. i. (PLP) will strive for normalcy in the relations with the United States based on mutual interests and respect as independent and sovereign states. It will avoid fluctuating policies that border on extreme reactions of either abject surrender or threats of armed conflict. j. Relations with the European Union will be further developed and strengthened. . Pakistan shall play a leading and constructive role in the Organization of Islamic Conference, SAARC, SCO and ECO. l. Special attention will be paid by our missions abroad to the problems of expatriate Pakistanis, particularly in the Gulf countries, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia where there are many Pankhurst workers. m. Pakistan will encourage the seeking of political solutions to political problems rather than the use of force. n. Pakistan will maintain independent foreign policy without getting involved in regional great, small or double games.
- (Haji Muhammad saeed Arian) (Asaf F Vardag)
- Secretary General President
- Pakistan Labour Party (PLP)
- [email protected]